Friday, August 23, 2013

Farmer's Market Fridays: Chocolate Berry Zucchini Bread


So I'm in Chicago right now...

ON (MOSTLY) VACATION!

Yes, dreams do come true... A friend's wedding and my brother's graduation, spaced two weeks apart, were the perfect way to structure/sandwich some downtime in between. I'm still writing and working, but only halftime (ha!)


But before I left Minnesota, I had an abundance of zucchini in my fridge because, as usual, I couldn't help myself. Since I already have plenty blanched and frozen zucchini in my freezer, I decided to make a few loaves of tender zucchini bread to freeze and eat upon my return.

This one is inspired by Tracy Shutterbean, with a twist: strawberries instead of blueberries (it's what I had on hand!) and chocolate chips (because I can!). There's nonfat plain greek yogurt swapped in for some of the butter, to keep it moist, up the protein, and lessen the guilt.

Go forth, friends, and bake! I'm going back to sipping inordinate amounts of iced coffee and chatting with my mom...


Chocolate Berry Zucchini Bread

Adapted from Shutterbean

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
6oz plain nonfat greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350F; butter and flour two loaf pans and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg and give it a whirl. Add in vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well in between. Mix in the yogurt and then, in batches, the flour mixture.

Fold in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and strawberries; divide among pans, and bake 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on pan, invert onto a wire cooling rack, and allow to cool completely (if you can wait that long!)

No comments:

Post a Comment