Friday, August 2, 2013

Farmer's Market Fridays: Spicy Chilled Corn Soup


Summer finally feels like it's hit for me... and that's a bummer, since it'll be over soon enough.

But I'm hanging on tooth and nail. I'm hanging on to summer in any form I can get it in. Including soup.


I love making big batches of soups in the summer using fresh produce. Soups are easy, simple, and-- most awesomely-- can be frozen to eat in the winter for super quick meals!

This soup is simple, but so filling. It's creamy, with no cream added. Just sweet corn, a smidge of butter, onions, garlic, and serrano peppers.



I was so proud of myself... The pepper I used in this recipe was the first one off my plant! When I told one of the farmers I frequent about my plant being ready to harvest, his automatic response?

"It's still alive?!"

Such is my life.


Spicy Chilled Corn Soup

Adapted from Bon Appetit

1 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
8 ears of sweet corn, shucked
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 serrano pepper, minced

Heat butter and oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook until translucent, about five minutes; add the garlic and serrano pepper, and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add the corn, salt, and pepper and sautee until the corn becomes soft and starts to brown, around 8-10 minutes. Add 5-6 cups water to the pot and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for another 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Carefully (soup may still be hot!) use an immersion blender to blend the soup; alternatively, work in batches and cream the soup in a blender. Transfer to a bowl and chill at least two hours; serve cold with additional peppers and tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment