Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies


I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again... I run to eat. Really. While I'm running, I'm usually thinking of the next thing I want to make and consume.

Also, you know when you're at the gym and you look at the person next to you and see that they have the Food Network on the screen while they're hoofing it? Yeah. That's me.



That's where these cookies came from... a rainy day treadmill run with the Food Network. I love to run mid-afternoon, because it picks my energy back up, and because Giada at Home and The Pioneer Woman are on.

Between a hard six mile run, a caffeine slump, and a chocolate craving, my brain exploded when Giada made these cookies the other day. Ground chocolate-covered espresso beans, chocolate chunks, and deep, dark cocoa powder. Just... Boom.


I used the Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered espresso beans, which I know for a fact that Giada used on the show. How do I know?

I recognized the container, and only the front label was replaced. You could still read TJ's logo on the back of the tub. It makes me inordinately happy that Giada/Food Network suppliers shop at TJ's like normal human beings.

Make these little, rich, decadent beauties. Just don't eat too many before bed... unless you're planning on sleeping when you're dead.




Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Adapted from Giada De Laurentis

6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (recommended: Ghirardelli)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature1/3 cup dark chocolate-covered espresso beans2 cups flour2 tablespoons unsweetened extra dark cocoa powder1 teaspoon baking powder1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt3/4 cup sugar2 eggs, at room temperature2 tablespoons water1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.


In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.



In the bowl of a food processor, finely chop the chocolate covered espresso beans. Transfer to a bowl of a stand mixer, and add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Mix in sugar, eggs (one at a time), water, and vanilla extract; stir until thick and smooth (dough will be thick and sticky). Fold in the melted chocolate mixture and chocolate chips. Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack, about 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for one minute, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment