Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Oatmeal Almond Raisin Cookies

 
Confession: I'm not a patient person. In fact, I'm the least patient person I know. I'm not proud of it. I know it's unreasonable. But when something needs to get done, I want it done now.

The only thing I don't want done in an instant? Oatmeal.


Part of the reason I love cooking is that it is the only thing for which I can pump the brakes and be a reasonable person in terms of allowing time to get things done. I'm one of those people who, for the love of cookies and cakes, is patient enough to leave the oven door closed the entire time things are baking so that the heat doesn't escape, and so that everything can cook just so.

When I'm stuck in traffic? Different story.


These cookies, however, are great for those who have little patience for baking. If you don't feel like mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately, these will turn out just fine throwing everything into a bowl. These are sweet, nutty, and great for when you want cookies now.

I know... it's been one of those days.

P.S. Check this out-- my Irish Coffee Ice Cream Cake is featured this week on the Share Your Sweets Slideshow at Serious Eats!!!



Oatmeal Almond Raisin Cookies

Adapted from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then each of the extracts; mix well. Slowly add in the flour mixture, then the oats. Stir in the nuts and raisins. Chill dough for 15 minutes to allow flavors to combine.

Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and immediately transfer to a cooling rack.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment