Friday, June 28, 2013

Farmer's Market Fridays: The best way to cook any greens... ever



 I'm lucky enough to have one of my close friends from college, Deborah, live within driving distance of me. I credit her as one of the people who helped me find my love for running and kindle my passion for cooking. Deborah has always been there for me, and knows how to cook killer, soul-feeding food, both of which I am incredibly grateful for.

In college, Deborah went to Africa to study abroad for a semester, and learned how to make some incredible dishes... including this surprisingly delicious way of cooking greens. I was surprised when she cooked up kohlrabi greens last weekend, and I bit into them and found they tasted rich, meaty, and decadent, which surprised me, as Deborah is vegan. The secret?

Veggie bullion and peanut butter. Mind-blowing, right?

So here's the trick to cooking any greens you may get from the market or your CSA and having them taste hearty. The recipe is entirely hers, from when she went to Africa, complete with "boom."

The best way to cook greens... ever

From Deborah

1 medium shallot or 1 small onion, diced
1 bunch greens (Kohlrabi, Kale, Collards, Chard, etc.)
1 tsp veg bullion + 1/2 C water (or 1/2 C broth)
1 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp olive oil

Chiffonade the greens. Heat the oil, toss in the shallots til soft. Add the greens, bullion, water, and peanut butter. Cook til tender. Eat it up. Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment