Thursday, June 7, 2012

You can't take it with you; or, Strawberry Preserves

Confession: When I'm stressed, I order a cookbook. It's a weakness. The fact that I have a student Amazon Prime account certainly doesn't help the situation (talk about nearly-instant gratification!). 
 

So when Canning for a New Generation went on sale for under $10 this week (!!!), I caved. My thought process was something along the lines of:

I'm going home to Chicago! I can totally bring home some of the strawberries I picked in jam form for my parental units!

The recipe was fabulous, and completely simple. The canning instructions were so easy, even I could follow them. It was brilliant! Then...
 
Logistical problem: TSA won't let you bring jam on the plane. At least, not more than 3oz in a tiny Ziploc bag.

Guess this jam will stay at home for now. Make them for your home, too.



Strawberry Preserves


From Canning for a New Generation

3-4 pounds rinsed, hulled, chopped strawberries (~9 cups)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (lemon hulls reserved)

Place all ingredients in a deep saucepan over medium heat (including lemon hulls). Cook until jam begins to thicken and resemble jam (20-25 minutes). Remove lemon hulls, and can using your preferred method (I use a water bath method), or put in your face right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment