Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Farmer's (market) bounty; or, Mushroom and Seitan Saute


What a weekend! The Med City Half Marathon weekend came and went. Dinners with teammates, oppressive heat, cool mojitos with friends, strawberry picking... where do I begin!? I'll  get my act together and get photographic documentation of the incredible whirlwind of my weekend with my DetermiNation team and my first half marathon. Pinky promise.



Now, I won't pretend I didn't splurge after my half marathon. There may or may not have been a half batch of chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough that was made and consumed as a combination lunch/dinner after the race. That dough may or may have made it in to the oven (hint: it didn't). So yesterday I had to stop and put something good for me in my face. This simple saute was made with seitan (found next to the tofu at most grocery stores-- but COMPLETELY different from tofu!) and goodies from the Saturday Farmer's Market.

Perfect, mindless, and delicious. But definitely NOT cookie dough.


Mushroom and Seitan Saute

Adapted from Super Natural Every Day 

Olive oil
Salt
8 oz seitan, cut into bite-size pieces
1/3 cup slivered almonds
16 oz kale
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
3 cloves black garlic, minced
Balsamic vinegar

Put a splash of olive oil into a saute pan. Toss in the seitan, almonds, baby bella mushrooms, asparagus, and garlic. Saute until kale is wilted and mushrooms are cooked through. Season to taste with salt, toss in balsamic vinegar to taste, and serve warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment