Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Marshmallow Fluffernutter Bars



Summer feels like it's finally rolling in. The sun is out, birds are singing... and the last thing I feel like doing right now is turning on the oven. I want a dessert that's instant gratification. That's light, but indulgent. That uses what I have on hand so I can get back outside.


I treated myself to Averie Sunshine's new book, Peanut Butter Comfort, after a really tough couple of weeks at work. I thought it couldn't get any better than a book about peanut butter... Until I saw her no-bake chapter. 

The Marshmallow Fluffernutter Bars were calling my name, but I didn't want to dash out to the store to buy Nutterbutters, so I pulled out a box of Do-si-Dos from my freezer. Oatmeal sandwich cookies with peanut butter? Worth a shot, right?

(Girl Scout cookie hoarder. Guilty.)
 

Roughly chopped oatmeal sandwich cookies meet rich peanut butter, sweet marshmallows, dark chocolate chips, and salty roasted peanuts. Rice Krispies for an extra crunch. Could it get any better?


These Fluffernutter bars come together so quickly and easily. They disappear the same way, too.

 Notice how the number of treats on the plate doesn't line up with what's missing in the pan? Proof.


Marshmallow Fluffernutter Bars

Adapted from Peanut Butter Comfort

4 cups mini marshmallows
1 box (15 cookies) of Do-si-dos or other peanut butter sandwich cookies, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped
3 cups rice krispies
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp unsalted butter
pinch of salt

Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss together 1 cup mini marshmallows, chopped cookies, chocolate chips, peanuts, and rice krispies. 

In a medium saucepan, combine the rest of the marshmallows, penaut butter, butter, and salt over low heat. Stir continuously until mixture is melted and smooth (except for the peanuts).

Pour the melty goodness over the dry mixture, and toss until completely coated. Press into pan, and chill in fridge for one hour (if you can wait that long), or until bars set. Cut and serve (they are great right out of the fridge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment