Friday, May 10, 2013

Farmer's Market Fridays: Kale Salad with Cherries, Gorgonzola, and Pecans

So one of my favorite parts of spring/summer has begun-- outdoor farmer's market season!

Last Saturday morning was the opening market for our area... Note that there is still snow on the ground from our freak blizzard. Darn you, Minnesota!



I was amazed that there were already some gorgeous veggies out, though! I picked up some kale and gorgeous beets, and made a huge kale salad that I lived on this week while the city thawed out.


I know I'm the last to this party, but I finally bought the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook  after my half marathon two weeks ago. I was eyeing the whole lemon bars (those will get made this summer, for sure!), but went for an adaptation of Deb's gorgeous salad.


I thinly sliced raw beets into the salad to add a bit more color, and threw in some persian cucumber, since I had it in my fridge. Epic lunchtimes all week!

Question for you readers: Are any of you members of a CSA (community-supported agriculture)? I'm debating signing up for one, and, having never done it before, am debating whether it would be a good idea for me, or whether I'd be better off just going to the market every week... Would love your thoughts! Let me know in the comments section!


Kale Salad with Cherries, Gorgonzola, and Pecans

Adapted from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook 

For the salad:

1/4 cup raw pecan pieces
4 cups dinosaur kale, roughly chopped
1 raw, fresh beet, chopped
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles

For the dressing:

1 tbsp olive oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons whole-grain dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

In a small jar, place all dressing ingredients; shake the heck out of it. Set aside.

Place kale and beets in a large salad bowl. Toss with dressing; allow to sit for 20 minutes (for kale and beets to tenderize). Add in the pecans, cherries, and cheese; toss to combine. Allow to sit for a few more minutes so the flavors can combine.

Serves 2 lunch-size portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment