Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sweaters and scarves; or, Chocolate Date-Nut Banana Muffins

Okay. So I've caved. I busted out my winter clothes last night. I'm wearing a sweater, scarf, and pants. I've started drinking hot coffee again. I'm starting to concede that autumn is rolling in.

But I still can't bring myself to drink a dang pumpkin latte.


These muffins are my first step towards fall cooking. Warm, wholesome, and filled with chewy dates and crunchy sunflower seeds.

 

They're (relatively) healthful, but still pack a beautifully chocolatey punch. Takes some of the guilt out of stress eating.

Three flours come together: almond, all-purpose, and whole wheat.


Flour meets banana, meets date, meets deep, dark cocoa powder. Boom boom pow.



Chocolate Date-Nut Banana Muffins

Based loosely on two recipes from Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 banana, mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup almond milk
1 1/2 tbsp well-beaten egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds
1/4 cup chopped, dried dates

Preheat oven to 325F. Spray the muffin tins with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir in banana, oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Fold in the seeds, almonds, and dates.

Divide batter among 5 muffin tin cups. Top with additional seeds, almond meal, dates, and brown sugar. Bake 25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment