Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Saving the day; or, Citrus Rhubarb Jam


I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that I tend to revert to my childhood self when I come home to visit my family. Some young adults go back to bickering with their siblings. Some expect their laundry to be done for them.

Me? I just get bizarre at the dinner table.


Scene: Two days ago. Sitting around the dinner table, having a perfectly nice meal of homemade vegetarian (thanks mom!) lasagna.

Brother: [knocks over glass of water]

Me:  I'LL SAVE YOU! [without any hesitation or shame, flings napkin all the way across the dinner table onto the spreading puddle of water]

Family: [crickets, then insane laughter]

Yep. This is my life.

On a completely unrelated note... I made you jam. It may not save the day, but it sure as heck tastes good!


Citrus Rhubarb Jam 


Adapted from Canning for a New Generation

1 orange
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (hulls reserved)
1 lb fresh rhubarb, cut into cubes
2/3 cup sugar

Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the orange zest and finely julienne the pieces. Segment the rest of the orange.

Place orange zest and slices, rhubarb, sugar, lemon hulls and lemon juice into a deep saucepan. Cook 15 minutes, until juices just cover the fruit. Remove the lemon hulls and cook an additional 10 minutes. Can using your favorite method, or cool and stir into greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment