Monday, May 21, 2012

Things get weird; or, Blue potato, corn, and black bean salad


Sometimes, things get uncomfortable. Awkward, at best. For me, the past couple of days have been just that.

Saturday: Went for a run. Had my water belt drop mid-stride to around my ankles (too big), and wiped out... in front of a cute guy I know.

Sunday: Sitting in Panera with my running friends, chatting about chub rub. Wouldn't you know it-- the head of my department walks by and notices me just as I emphatically declare "I have the absolute worst chub rub!"


Today: In the middle of class, my coffee lid comes off, and I get covered with lukewarm medium roast. The professor simply remarked "Oh dear," and kept lecturing.



This is a recipe that it is so simple, there's no way to mess it up. You won't trip while making it, it won't contribute to your chub rub, and it won't stain your favorite blue blouse. Make friends with this salad-- it'll hold you and tell you you're pretty, even when things get awkward.


Blue potato, corn, and black bean salad


Adapted from Appetite for Reduction

1 16-oz can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
1 lb blue potatoes, washed and sliced
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 jalapenos, diced finely
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 160oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp minced shallots
1 tsp fresh cilantro
1 red bell pepper, diced
Salad greens

Place garlic and shallots in a medium saucepan with the oil and salt; cook about a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients, save the salad greens, plus 1/4 cup water. Stir, and cover; allow to steam until potatoes are tender. Serve over mixed greens for a dinner of champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment