Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Vegetarian Dirty Rice

Today was one of those long days where all I wanted to do was curl up with a chick flick, ice cream, and friends and play silly middle school sleepover games.

I'm weird. I know.

But when your day starts with working through breakfast at 5:30am, meeting a buddy for a quick run, working in lab through the morning, skipping lunch to have back-to-back meetings, eating lunch at 5pm, going to the gym, and coming home to eat/work some more, you start to get a little weird.

And doing this without any coffee all day? Cut me some slack, folks.

Luckily, I still had some of this rice leftover to eat for dinner.


It's simple, hearty, keeps really well for days, and goes great with just about any leftover. Except chocolate granola. Found that out the hard way tonight.

A much more sensible pairing would be with black-eyed pea stuffed peppers. Too bad I didn't have any sense earlier when I was assembling my supper.


Vegetarian Dirty Rice
Adapted from Veganomicon

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 1/2 cups water

In a saucepan, sautee onions until lightly browned over medium heat. Add in garlic and coriander and sautee until fragrant. Add in tomato paste; stir until combined. Add salt, pepper, rice, and water. Mix to combine, and cover. Let cook for 40 minutes, until rice is thoroughly cooked. Fluff and serve with black-eyed pea stuffed peppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment