Monday, March 26, 2012

A hole in my fridge; or, Lemon-Lime Ginger Poppyseed Muffins


My conversation over lunch with one of my BFFs went something like this:

Me: You know how money burns a hole in some people's pockets?

BFF: Yeah...

Me: Well, butter burns a hole in my fridge.

BFF: You're weird...

My point is, if I have butter in my fridge, I must use it ASAP! It's a sickness.

Maybe I was secretly dropped on my parents' doorstep by Paula Deen, though I'd hate to think I have that hair in my future.



These muffins are truly a breakfast food-- though I'm always up for eating cake for breakfast.

Lemon and lime zest, poppyseeds, and freshly grated ginger. Woah.

If it sounds like I was just trying to empty my fruit/spice drawer... you're partially right. Don't judge these before you try them, though-- the lemon-lime-ginger combination is super refreshing, and the poppyseeds at a nice crunch to the dense pastry.


I love when you can see the zest-- so pretty!

Lemon-Lime Ginger Poppyseed Muffins


Adapted from Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins, and More

2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons poppyseeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, unsalted, slightly softened
4 teaspoons each grated lemon zest and lime zest
3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F. Place muffin liners in muffin tin.

In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Set aside.

Cream butter, zests, ginger, and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.

In another bowl, combine the extracts and milk. Add dry and wet mixtures to butter mixtures, alternating.

Scoop batter into muffin cups (I like to use an ice cream scoop to ensure that all muffins are the same size). Bake 25 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool, and serve with a cup of green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment