Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eating Vegas: Bouchon Bakery



True or false: dinner last night was leftovers from Las Vegas that I smuggled back on the plane last weekend.

True. Totally, 100%, undeniably, shamefully true. But when the leftovers were from Bouchon Bakery, I couldn't just leave them behind, now, could I?


Yup-- another dream come true. Since I know I will never be able to save up enough to eat at the French Laundry, I'll "settle" for Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery.


Since it was St. Patrick's Day weekend, many of the treats had gone green!

 

So many gorgeous, buttery, lovely choices! I didn't know where to start... so I asked the gentleman serving me what he would order if he could only order one thing (jerky question, I know, but I went there).


 His instant answer, no hesitation? The kouign amann, a flaky, croissant-like pastry dough folded and baked up in a muffin tin with a crunchy, carmelized sugar coating. It was pleasantly flaky and cloud-like, and the sugar crunch was great, but I've never been a huge fan of croissants. If I'm going to eat something buttery, I'd rather it have a bit more substance.


I'm pretty sure that the person serving me there thought I was bonkers for ordering so many things for myself... First up was the carrot cake cookie, two dense, almost muffintop-like cookies with cream cheese filling between. Heaven! And absolutely perfect on the carrot cake flavor (I hate when carrot cake is too saccharine-- believe it or not, I actually want to taste the carrot).


Finally, since it was St. Patty's day, I had to get something green. I went with the TKO, which is Thomas Keller's fancified oreo. Honestly, I may never be able to eat another Oreo again... The cookie was fabulous, the white chocolate (well, green chocolate) ganache TO DIE FOR. And I'm normally one who scrapes the cream out of oreos and eats only the cookies. 

Only bummer was that it melted a little in the heat, but that's butter for ya!


Totally inspiring visit-- will definitely have to check out his cookbook and try my hand at these cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment